RP Guide to New RPers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RP Guide to New RPers

Post by Johnny Reynolds on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Welcome to the unofficial Official fed Roleplaying Guide written by me, one of those original E-Feders who've been RPing for years. I know, the originality of that title is overwhelming, but enough formalities. This is just a rough guideline I put together in order to help newer roleplayers in their efforts to make it to the top of a fed. That being said, it should be noted that I did this guide based on UCW's standards, so just bear with me.

======================================

PLANNING. Before anything else, I’d suggest typing or writing out a few rough ideas of what you’d wanna do in a roleplay, so that you’re not just typing stuff on the fly. Trust me, that usually doesn’t come out well when all’s said and done. In order to prepare for a match roleplay, I’d highly suggest finding some information on your opponent (preferably some dirt if your character is a heel, or a character who just likes digging up dirty secrets), or even just the match you’re going to compete in. Once you have a few rough ideas, don’t start typing until you have any main things you want to say or do all plotted out in your head. Not only so it all makes sense, but so it’s great to read as well.

BE DESCRIPTIVE. I can’t stress this enough. Descriptive details are one of the most essential parts of a roleplay, because, when reading a roleplay, someone who might not even know about the character or the match should feel like they’re a part of that situation. Tell what’s going on around the character, what the character is wearing, what sounds they hear, what sights they see, what thoughts they think, and even what feelings they feel. It’s all part of the situation, and should all be told by the author – in this case, you.

RELEVANCE. This seems to cause a bit of an issue with newer fedders/RPers out there, so I also stress that writing roleplays and scenes of which that are relevant to the match you’re having is very important. If you’re writing about something completely unrelated to the match, some stipulation of the match, your opponent, or maybe some element of a feud between you and your opponent(s), how will anyone get the point you’re trying to make? In essence, while originality IS important, don’t expect to win if your longest and most descriptive scene is about you and your ex-husband/ex-wife/ex-whatever having a food fight and suddenly having some weird... well ya know. It’s good reading to some people, but for winning matches in e-feds, not gonna cut it.

ORIGINALITY. As mentioned in the Relevance section, your scenes ought to have something to do with the match or situation at hand. However, it seems these days that a lot of roleplays consist of a backstage interview, an in-ring rant, and a talk-into-the-camera segment, all of which are repeating what could easily be said in one scene. That being said, get creative with roleplays. I’m not saying an in-ring rant or backstage interview is completely off-limits, but you should get creative with a scene and let your ideas flow, so long as they’re relevant to the match you’re in or the person your facing. You see how these things are intertwining, right?

LENGTH. While not the most important factor in roleplaying in most ‘feds, length does pose a slight problem to a lot of new RP’ers, especially in ‘feds with word minimums for match RPs. Now, no one’s asking you to write a whole novel (and believe me, going for novel-length RP’s would harm more than help), but you shouldn’t go for the bare minimum, either. To put it simply, write enough to get your point across and to get in enough details so the RP is readable and enjoyable to read. Got it?

LOOK AND FEEL. Just as length, this isn’t quite the top priority in a roleplay, but sometimes how a roleplay looks as far as colors and such might give it a more professional or sloppy look, depending on how you go about it. Colors are first – as far as UCW is concerned, black text on dark-red boards makes for sore eyes, and fast. So I advise you to avoid black text on UCW, if possible. Now, colors in general should be different for each little area of text, should you use them. Basically, don’t have the text that says you grabbed your ice coffee from the counter be the same as the text in which you say, “This isn’t coffee, this is…mud!” It just looks better, especially if the colors have good, noticeable contrast. Pictures are also welcome to give a better visual of what we’d be seeing in an RP, but use them in MODERATION. Meaning, don’t splurge and have 38 pictures between each paragraph, because anymore than 4 or 5 at the very most in one roleplay is overkill, in my opinion. The same can be applied for videos. And, just like all other things, make sure any pictures and videos are relevant to the story you’re trying to tell.

PROOFREADING. Now THIS, my friends, seems to be the biggest pain in the ass for anyone to do with any writing piece whatsoever, e-fed-related or not. However, it’s gotta be done. Proofreading is important because having spelling error after spelling error and a menagerie of run-on sentence fragments drags down an RP’s quality. A lot. If you have Microsoft Word (let’s face it, most of us do), it has a wonderful spelling and grammar checker built in, and all it takes to view suggestions on how to fix things is a simple hit of the F7 button on your keyboard. Mozilla Firefox (an alternate Internet browser, for those unaware) has a spell checker built in similar to that of Word, and another site that could help with definitions and spellings is www.dictionary.com.

FEEDBACK. Even after writing, re-writing, proofreading, letting out that agonizing groan of frustration, and re-re-writing, there’s still the ever-so-daunting task of getting others’ opinions on your roleplay. Something that makes sense to you might not to someone else, and remember, no one in the e-fed world will probably ever be able to make an official decision as to whether their match roleplay wins. 99.99% of the time, it’s someone else who judges RP’s, hopefully unbiased in their opinion. That being said, I highly recommend getting feedback from a variety of sources so you can gather a general idea of what to keep doing and what to improve on.

REVIEW. A) Consider how you talk about your opponents. If you're telling the audience how talentless and worthless they are, beating them means you accomplished nothing. Losing to them makes you look even worse. Which will affect your future RP's.

B) Speaking of future RP's, explaining away every loss as a fluke victory for your opponent convinces no one. Babyfaces don't complain about being screwed by interference. Heels don't try to explain away clean losses. Humility is not a death knell of your reputation, but blatant ignorance is.

CONTENT. According to TWG, role plays should not contain sexual or overly violent scenes. Profanities (swearing) is allowed but please only use it in moderation and in fitting scenes, it shouldn't be all over the place, also when you do swear put -censor- or (censored) so the federation doesn't get in trouble. Your role play also should be your own work and not copied in whole or part from somebody else or any of your past role plays. Anything done is ON CAMERA will and can be used against you, if you leave it unmarked than it can be used as well. Anything labeled as OFF CAMERA people can not talk about as they're is not a camera there. This could count towards other portions of your role play.

--The Mildly Advanced Course for RPers in a Wrestling Fed

Good news! You have the basics down! Now, how can you build on it? Simply put, there's some more complicated factors in RPing as a professional wrestler when you have to deal with other RPers.

COMMUNICATION. When feuds are getting set up, be sure to talk with who you want to feud with beforehand, this including the acting GM of your fed so they can help book around the story you want to tell. This is generally an easy process that can be boiled down into a skeleton structure for how you would want to break down the feud week by week. If both parties are in agreement, both sides are given a nice shine for developing their characters personality, mindset, and maybe even alter how they perceive the world around them.

For example, say that I, Johnny Reynolds, a calculative wrestler that carries himself in the airs of great arrogance were to put myself in a feud against some Amazonian legend of UCW and veteran of the ring, the first question to ask is "How do we get to the match at the end?" It's an important question, and it should be answered with an easy answer. In my example, I would explain with that veteran that I would start with Johnny making comments on how that guy is still in UCW because he's a freak show or something.

I WOULDN'T start by saying that the feud starts with Reynolds taking a blowtorch to his feud partner's face, cackling maniacally the entire time. Remember, the idea is to have a match that should have anticipation behind it, not a series of stunts that have to be recapped in order to understand how it all fell into place. NOT TO SAY THAT STUNTS AND GIMMICKS ARE BAD. Remember, how your character reacts is wholly your own. So, while Johnny wouldn't go mad and take a blow torch to the veteran's face, a deranged psychotic wrestling character might.

GIVE AND TAKE. Let's face it, when you want to portray a character you want to see them succeed in every aspect possible, defying odds, doing the impossible... but that's just not realistic. Every character has flaws and stumbles, this including taking into account wins and losses in matches. It's not fun watching a character lose a match in a definitive way only for them to spring back the next week as if nothing is wrong. Every action should have consequence, and if the action was a match where your character was left in a pool of his own blood, then show what the consequence was. It can be as easy as a haphazardly placed bandage that is seen, a cautious attitude around the wrestler that caused the blood loss, and maybe even a threat of vengeance in the near future...

Speaking on match endings, sometimes the system just doesn't work your way and you lose in a big match. Sometimes you get extremely lucky and get that massive win. Use it! In pro wrestling (traditionally), wins and losses make the difference between earning the big bucks and making enough to scrape by. If you want the reader to feel the importance of wins and losses, then show it in how the character reacts in future interviews or conversations with others. Be bitter, be smug, be calculative, however you react, make the matches you've had mean something.

BE REAL...BUT BE FAKE ABOUT IT. This is a little hard to explain, but stay with me on this. Pro Wrestling at its heart is a sport based in athleticism, talent, and what happens in the ring. How you get there is an entirely different story. Going back to COMMUNICATION, if you've set up a feud with another wrestler, you want to have a story that is not too complicated to follow.

If you have a wild character like.. some female wrestler that has the gimmick of being able to transform herself between cat and person, try to incorporate the gimmick in such a way that your sense of realism could attempt to believe such a thing can happen. If you can't, then going in the entirely other way works just as well- as shown by one "Broken" Matt Hardy and his portrayal into that gimmick has shown, sometimes you just make people force themselves to accept that the character you have is able to do the impossible. BEAR IN MIND, THAT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE EXCUSE TO CONTINUALLY DO THE IMPOSSIBLE ALL THE TIME. Even The Undertaker has taken losses and has been beaten down backstage, despite being a wrestling zombieman that can summon lightning and rise from the grave multiple times. Work with your fellow wrestlers and you show more of them that you can be capable of making not only themselves look better, but make yourself look like someone trustworthy in setting up for something better.

MUH TITLE SHOT. No one should come kicking in the door and demanding a title shot, unless the GM really wants to run with it. Like in an actual wrestling promotion, you have to earn it through earning the trust of your fellow wrestlers and with the GM. Now, you could make mention in conversations about wanting a title shot, or making a passing glance at a championship belt that is close by, but until you have a chance to get that match (or you're given permission), the champions and the belts are not meant to be messed with. When you do have that opportunity, WORK WITH THE CHAMPION LIKE YOU WOULD WITH ANY OTHER WRESTLER. Don't get crazy and start wreaking havoc with them, take it through step by step. Make your skeleton structure, go week to week in building the story, and when the match comes, you may come out as the brand new champion or come out with a loss. Turning back to GIVE AND TAKE, make this win or loss mean something; now perhaps moreso since the championship belts are considered a high prestige.

REAL LIFE. We all have lives outside of this forum, outside of the game, outside of the computer. If you are in dire straits or unable to complete something, don't worry about not posting an RP on time. Things happen all the time. People come, people go, some are on and off, but in the end, YOU need to take care of YOU. Don't get worked up because Beefy McLargeHuge won't be able to make that response RP while you're recovering from a flu. If you're going to be gone for a long while, making a short post explaining your situation is more than enough. The forum and the fed will still be here.

And that's pretty much it. I hope those stuff above have helped you or you feel that they will. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Johnny Reynolds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RP Guide to New RPers

Post by Soul Breaker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you  Smile
Soul Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hank The Tank Harris on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Excellent guide, i will link to this in our getting started page. Great work Johnny.
Hank The Tank Harris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top